Spring is around the corner. Yes, yes, it is as in real estate terms, it actually starts in January! Making a checklist will ensure you get into every nook and cranny in your home. Don't forget these jobs.
- Turn your air conditioning on to make sure it works before the first summer heat wave. Make sure your thermostat is working. Clean heating and air conditioning ducts at least every five years; more if you are a smoker or have pets. Germs and bacteria can build up over time and affect your indoor air quality.
- Check your roof. Our Canadian winters can be hard on them. Replace any missing or torn shingles and fix any nails that may have come up.
- Get your chimney ready for summer. Cuddling in front of a roaring fire isn't normally a summer activity. Cover your chimney with a wire screen or cloth to keep out leaves and debris. It will also keep animals and birds from taking up residence there.
- Clean out your gutters (a perennial home owners favourite, I know). A lot of debris can build up and cause water to overflow and possibly do damage.
- Fix any loose or missing pieces of siding and replace if necessary.
- Swap storm windows for screens. This will allow you to open windows to allow summer breezes in without insects too.
- Plant a tree. It's good for the environment, adds character to your landscape, brightens your yard and can increase the value of your home.
If you need help or are too busy to do your spring cleaning by yourself, hire someone else to do it for you. Many students are looking for extra prom cash at this time of year.
If you're looking for recommendations on anything home related, we have a great Business Directory, for all your needs! Find it on our website at Business Directory!